Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chili, Squeakers and Happy Purim!

This weekend was a busy one!  Friday night I surprised Jason with a Radio Flyer ATW wagon.  Of course, it is for Hannah, but I think he was more excited about it.  I thought it would be the perfect mode of transportation for our busy Saturday, but we decided we needed to test it out with Hannah before going in public.  On Saturday Hannah slept until 8:45!  It was unbelievable.  Jason and I were able to clean the kitchen, start laundry, take care of the dogs, and get breakfast ready all before Hannah woke up (yes, I did check to see if she was breathing at about 7:45).  We had breakfast and then got dressed to go to Homewood.

First stop was Sikes Children's Shoes.  Hannah has outgrown the pair of white mary-jane keds that we got in January (size 4).  I was actually excited because I thought now she would finally fit into white leather shoes.  I'm not kidding when I say that we tried on 12 pairs of shoes!  For a 1 year old!  She apparently has "soapbar" feet, which mean they are shaped like a soap bar, rectangular and thick.  So nothing would fit her!  We settled on a pair of white leather Mary-Jane's (size 5) that have a few little flowers on them (I was not happy about this part).  However, the real kicker is that the only shoes that would fit her are the ones that squeak when she walks!  She thought they were hilarious; everyone else thought they were annoying, but we left the squeakers (they can be removed) in for the whole day because she was so amused.  See video below.  She walked around in circles all day just to hear herself squeak!

After Sikes we headed to Homewood Park for the Exceptional Foundation Chili Cook-off.  It could not have been a more perfect day for an outdoor event.  The sun was shining and there was a nice breeze.  I am a terrible mom, though, I forgot sunscreen and Hannah got a little tan!  There were probably 100 different booths all serving up their version of the best chili around.  I tasted about 5 different ones before I burnt my mouth on some chili that was not even spicy hot, but too temperature hot.  Jason, as evidenced by the stains on his shirt, tasted more chili than I did, and I think his favorite was the booth who gave us beer.  As promised, we did vote for them as People's choice.  After tasting we headed inside to get some beer from Good People Brewing Company.  My pale ale was not so pale, so I gave it to Jason and he downed that along with a brown ale and a coffee oatmeal stout (sounds yuck to me!).  We watched the band play for a little while and Hannah was just mesmerized (see picture below).  She wouldn't dance, but she didn't want to move away from them!  The ice cream man was there so I got a bomb pop (the red, white and blue rocket popsicle) thinking that Hannah would like it, but she wanted nothing to do with it.  So, we just watched her run around the field at the park and listen to herself squeaking!

Because we really didn't eat a meal of chili we headed over to Taziki's for a lunch of greek salads and hummus.  Lately I cannot not get enough greek salads.  I have become somewhat of a connoisseur.  I think I have tried every greek salad in the city and I have to say that the best one is at Pappas' Grill in Vestavia.  Taziki's was not so great, but we needed to stay around that area to meet Gigi for the handoff.  Hannah was spending the night with Gigi and Pops, so we met Gigi after lunch to give her Hannah.  Jason was much better than I was, and he went to workout Saturday afternoon.  I was beat from the sunshine and activity so I laid around and caught up on some DVR.

Saturday evening we attended the second "Babies & Bagels in Birmingham" program.  This is a group of Jewish couples who have babies from 0 - 4 years old.  This was not really a program as much as it was an excuse to drink Margaritas!  They had a buffet dinner for us a Zona Rosa in Liberty Park, and all the margs and Mexican beer you could drink.  We met some really great people, and had a lot of fun having a night out.  After dinner we went down to Billy's at Liberty Park with two other couples.  We stayed to hear the band play one set (mainly because we paid a $7 per person cover charge!  RIDICULOUS for 4 on the Floor) and then Jason told me it was time to go home at midnight.  He was turning into a pumpkin!

Sunday we slept in, thanks to Hannah spending the night out.  I made a fifteenth trip to the Apple store because my computer broke AGAIN, Jason worked out, and then we put together the wagon.  We got it all strapped down in the back of Jason's truck and headed to Trussville to show Hannah her new toy.  Hannah, Jason, Gigi, Pops and I all went to the park.  We pulled Hannah around in her wagon, which she seemed kind of indifferent about, and then we played on the playground.  Hannah didn't really want anything to do with the slides or other playground equipment.  She just wanted to play with the gravel!  It wore her out because she fell asleep on the way home.  She had fun!

Last night was my first time to play in a Bunko group that I was invited to (thanks to Saturday night's event!).  It was great catching up with old friends, meeting new ones, and playing an easy, yet entertaining game!  I didn't win, but it was still a fun time.

Today is Purim, so Hannah went to school in a costume.  It was kind of a last minute decision, so Hannah went as a ballerina.  The pictures are from my cell phone, so they are not great, but you get the idea.  She's a cutie!


1 comment:

rebecca said...

I think the squeakers are hilarious! I don't blame Hannah for wanting to keep them in. I noticed that you don't put any pics of you up, but Jason looks great! I can tell he's been hitting the gym. Miss yall! xo