Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Party like it's 1999

This past weekend was my 10 year high school reunion.  I have been looking forward to it for a while, but as the planner for it I was also dreading it a little bit.  Even though it is a job I volunteered for, and even though I do plan events for a living so I wasn't too worried about how it would turn out, I was anxious.  I felt personally responsible for how much fun would be had, if any at all!  I have to admit, I was also a little anxious about seeing people I hadn't seen in a while.  Not embarrassed or nervous, just apprehensive for reasons of nostalgia.  I tend to think of high school as the "glory days."  I loved high school and everything about it.  I had great friends and made great memories.  It's kind of like when you had a favorite place as a child that you remember to be so wonderful, and then you revisit it as an adult and it is not as glorious as you remembered.  This is what I was afraid would happen.  Luckily for me, nothing has changed.  Some people might think of this as a bad thing, but for me it was like putting on an old sweater.  Everything just felt right.  Of course, some things have changed, some people are married and some are a little more mature (most people!).  But, for the most part, everyone is exactly the same and I love that.  For the first time in a long time I felt at home.  I love my life, Jason and Hannah, and my job, I've just always been more comfortable/happy in Mobile than in Birmingham, and this weekend confirmed that.  Of course, not everyone is always in Mobile, and maybe that is why weekends like this are so great... it is the some of the few times we are all back together.  Thanks to everyone for making it a great weekend!  This weekend confirmed for me that high school was a great experience.  I'm sorry that I have lost touch with some people, or not been as good at keeping in touch with others, but it was great to catch up with everyone and I promise to be better about staying in contact in the future.  Here's to the class of '99... hope to see you all at the next reunion!

3 comments:

The Coles said...

It was a great weekend... thanks for all your hardwork! I feel the same way about high school... we had some good times.

Kat said...

I enjoyed the weekend as well! Love reading your blog!

rebecca said...

i always kind of wanted to be in your class or noah's, rather than mine! the pics from yall's reunion are so fun. i'm kind of sad i wasn't there :)